Are you single and retired? Ready to explore dating once more?
You are not alone. The fact is, there are a lot of people aged 50 and up who are looking for a new partner. Most often than not, seniors turn to the Internet to explore online dating for finding a new partner or simply to look for new friends.
For those who have lost a partner or someone special, times can be a very tough and also very lonely. Senior dating might just be what you are looking for after long years of grieving and living alone. Opening yourself towards new companionship may help you realize that life still has a lot to offer.
Yes, you do still have your children and grandchildren that mean the world to you and bring you joy and happiness. At the same time, it might not be enough to replace the emptiness within your heart. It makes all the difference in the world when you know you have that special someone with you all the time. Someone who you can open up to by sharing all your stories because you know they will understand.
There are a lot of online dating sites for seniors, which can help you meet others just like you. These sites serve as place where you can socialize and communicate with other single seniors who are also interested in dating. These sites will usually ask you to fill out a form where you can include details about your personal information and dating preferences. What you choose to include is up to you and the information you submit will be used to create your online profile. In return, the site will match you up with other individuals who are possibly compatible based on your online profile and preferences.
Of course like with anything new, there can be some skepticism at first if these sites really work and if your information is secure. These sites have actually put in measures in place to ensure your profile is secure and that is a big reason there are millions catching onto this new phenomenon. As a matter of fact, people have been finding their true loves online and even getting married which is growing rapidly by the tens of thousands.
How many friends and family do you know that have gone on dates to only find out that the other person isn’t really that compatible? What if they were just always on their “best foot forward” and it became difficult to break ties with that person? This is the beauty of the Internet as it can allow you to connect with possibly your “soul mate” with literally the click of a button.
If you decide to join an online dating site, just be sure to keep these things in mind for your safety:
1. Investigate. Be sure to sign-up only on reputable online dating service sites. Ask friends and even do a search online with your favorite search engine. Within the site, you should find information showing if they are “TrustE” or “Hacker-Safe” certified. This is where the site has to undergo a strenuous process and strict privacy guidelines to be compliant. You can usually find this information within the sites “Privacy” link or “About Us” section.
2. Be Cautious. Do not give out too much personal information too soon. It is advisable not to reveal your real name, email address , your home address or work address and phone number unless you are absolutely sure that you can completely trust the person and that the date is real. You can even take a friend with you and meet in a public area if you want to be 100% comfortable.
3. Take advantage of free sites. Before signing-up to any senior dating services online, be sure to check if there is a fee to join. Also, ensure to “read the fine print.” Tip: There are a lot of top, reputable online dating sites that offer their services for free.
When creating your online profile, remember these tips to make it easier to find the right person:
1. Be honest. Be sure to put the correct information and do not lie about your age, otherwise, you will mislead people, making it harder for you to find your match.
2. Think. Make sure to ask yourself about the important qualities you are looking for in a partner before filling out the profile form.
3. Promote yourself. It will help if you focus on your positive traits and things that you can offer in a relationship.
4. Be realistic. You cannot replace your spouse that you have lost. Therefore, when looking for a new partner, try not to compare the person to your previous partner. Remember, everyone is unique.
5. Be patient. Do not rush. Keep in mind that things don’t happen overnight. Be sure to know the person as much as possible. Take it one day at a time.
6. Upload your best photo. Upload you nicest picture as your profile. Based on recent studies, members of online dating sites look at profile pictures first before making any effort in getting to know other members better. It might not be right, but this is reality. Don’t stress out too much about this as the saying goes: “Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.”
7. Don’t be too picky. Try to lessen your search criteria in order to get more possible matches. People who tend to be too picky end up not finding Mr. or Ms. Right. Be sure to set realistic and attainable expectations.
Follow these tips to ensure you’ll have a very positive experience online and possibly find the companionship you have been looking for.
Copyright © 2008 La Dolce Living, Inc. All Rights Reserved.